Wednesday, October 14, 2015

Amy Sue Nathan's "The Good Neighbor"

Amy Sue Nathan was born and raised in Philadelphia and is a graduate of Temple University with a Bachelor’s in Journalism (a degree she actually uses). She has called the Chicago area home since the late 1990s, and is the proud mom of two grown children (her favorite oxymoron). In addition to being a writer, editor, and blogger, she's a dog-lover, vegetarian, not-so-secret crafter, and lover of all things wine and chocolate.

Nathan's debut novel, The Glass Wives, was published by St. Martin’s Griffin in May 2013.

Here Nathan dreamcasts an adaptation of her second novel, The Good Neighbor:
When I wrote The Good Neighbor, just like with my first novel and now my third, I didn’t see faces. I don’t imagine doppelgangers. I don’t envision actual people. Still, when I think about it, I imagine who could capture the essence of the character. For Izzy Lane, after much consideration and thought, I’ve come up with the perfect actress for the role: Sandra Bullock. I think Bullock would bring Izzy’s kind heart and crazy confusion to life. And, as the single mother of a young son, Bullock would definitely get Izzy’s single mom part perfectly. For Mrs. Feldman, I come up with Betty White because of her age. I see Mrs. Feldman though (when I force myself) more of an aged Meryl Streep. Mrs. Feldman is wise and kind of quirky with a big secret. I’d love to see Streep in that role. For Andrew, again, though neither of these actors are the right age, I picture someone like Josh Gad (who’s too young) or Albert Brooks (who’s too old – so let’s go with the 1991 Brooks from Defending Your Life). Izzy’s best friends are Jade and Rachel. Anne Hathaway would make a great urban Jade and Drew Barrymore would be a great suburban Rachel—again, they’re both moms and that would come through. I don’t think these actors are the right age either but hey, it’s Hollywood. We’ll hire a great make-up artist.

See you on the red carpet!
Learn more about the book and author at Amy Sue Nathan's website, Facebook page, and Twitter perch.

Coffee with a Canine: Amy Sue Nathan & Mitzi and Lizzie.

My Book, The Movie: The Glass Wives.

The Page 69 Test: The Glass Wives.

The Page 69 Test: The Good Neighbor.

--Marshal Zeringue