Friday, September 1, 2017

Gerald Elias's "Spring Break"

A graduate of Yale, Gerald Elias has been a Boston Symphony violinist, Associate Concertmaster of the Utah Symphony since 1988, Adjunct Professor of Music at the University of Utah, first violinist of the Abramyan String Quartet, and Music Director of the Vivaldi Candlelight concert series.

His novels include Devil's Trill, Danse Macabre, Death and the Maiden, Playing With Fire, and the newly released Spring Break.

Here Elias shares some insights for casting the lead in an adaptation of his books:
Over the years I've imagined a variety of actors who would do a great job as the blind, curmudgeonly violin teacher/amateur sleuth Daniel Jacobus. Right now I'd have to say that I picture Donald Sutherland in the role. Not what I might have said before, but at the moment I'm thinking he'd do a bang up job. But if he doesn't get back to me this week I'm just going to have to move on to Geoffrey Rush, Michael Kitchen, Mandy Patinkin, or Anthony Hopkins, who are all waiting in line.

Regardless of who plays Jacobus, I'm sure Spielberg can't wait to direct it.
Learn more about the book and author at Gerald Elias's website.

My Book, The Movie: Devil's Trill and Danse Macabre.

My Book, The Movie: Playing With Fire.

--Marshal Zeringue